Southwark Council has saved a former bottling plant in Ossory Road from potential demolition.
The factory at 12 Ossory Road (near the Old Kent Road Asda superstore) was added to the Glengall Road Conservation Area in May when the council approved a recommendation to extend the boundary.
The freehold interest has since been purchased by Fabrix Capital with the intention to refurbish the building and provide creative office and maker space.
Cllr Johnson Situ Cabinet Member for Growth, Development and Planning, said:
“Our vision for Old Kent Road is to build on its unique creative character, a place where industry can thrive alongside new homes and quality open spaces. The loss of this previously undesignated heritage asset would have been detrimental to the whole Old Kent Road area, which has lost the vast majority of its industrial heritage over time.
At Southwark we believe it’s important to protect and retain the remaining traces of this heritage wherever possible. And now that the building is within the boundaries of the conservation area, I’m thrilled that it looks like it will be refurbished and remain part of the Old Kent Road area.”
The building dates back to the late 19th Century when it was occupied by glass and stoneware ginger beer bottlers, J Mills & Sons. It operated as a bottling factory for nearly a century before being succeeded by a furniture manufacturer. One of its most recent uses was as the Christ Embassy church.
The earliest part of this complex of buildings dates from 1895, with the main part of the former factory completed by 1914. It extended again after the Second World War.
The factory is built from characteristic London yellow stock brick, with polished brick quoins, natural slate roof. It has a large prominent gable to the east elevation, facing a cobbled yard and entrance from Ossory Road.
The building retains some original Crittal style warehouse fenestration, timber hoist doors and chimneys. A small range of ancillary buildings remains opposite the main factory to the east.
The building is a legible reminder of the dense industrial development that would have lined the Grand Surrey Canal and its hinterland. It is one the few remaining examples of the relationship between residential streets and industrial development from this time.
Find out more about the history of Old Kent Road